Castor Oil Plant Fatsia Japonica - Single Established Plant
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
Currently: Out of stock
Collect From Store
- A spectacular evergreen shrub
- Mature Fatsia plants produce exotic spikes of creamy white flowers.
- A great plant for difficult or shady areas where other plants struggle.
- Easy to grow, plants really need very little attention for amazing results
- Supplied as an established plant in 2L pot ready for planting straight out
For a medium-sized shrub that will bring architectural interest to your garden all year long, Fatsia japonica is just the ticket! A spectacular evergreen shrub, it produces impressively large, serrated, glossy green leaves, which remain throughout the year, giving interest in all seasons. Also known as the Japanese aralia or castor oil plant, mature Fatsia plants produce exotic spikes of creamy white flowers, followed by attractive deep purple, almost black berries. Definitely a plant for novice gardeners and seasoned pros alike, Fatsia japonica will grow well in any garden and is a great plant for difficult shady areas where other plants struggle – in fact they perform best in light or dappled shade, making a glossy backdrop to other plants with their amazing palm-like leaves. Holder of a much deserved RHS Award of Garden Merit, plants really need very little attention to give you amazing results whether you are strapped for time or a complete gardening novice, and you can be sure that this is a plant that has been rigorously trialled and proven to excel in UK gardens.
Supplied as an established plant approx. 60cm tall (inc 2L pot) ready for planting straight out into the garden. Fatsia is also a great plant to complement a large decorative pot on the patio, where its architectural shape can make dramatic, tropical feature.
- Older plants will easily tolerate rough treatment and the odd hack back is soon forgotten with a burst of new growth.
Planting Advice for Fatsia japonica:
- Shrub roots generally tend to spread out rather than down, so dig a planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting and mix some well-rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill one the shrub is in place.
- We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your shrub in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball.
- Water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
Aftercare advice for your Fatsia plant:
- Best in shade where it will bring an almost tropical look to beds and borders.
- Not fussy with soil type and in fact is happiest in heavy clay.
- Protect plants from cold, drying winds.
- Older leaves may turn yellow and then brown - just trim them off leaving a 1' stub which quickly falls off.
- Leaves will blacken in extreme cold (-4°C or below) but miraculously the plant will quickly recover as the temperature rises - any damaged foliage can then be cut back.
Pruning Advice for your Castor oil plant:
- Prune lightly in mid to late spring, trimming back any shoots that spoil its shape.
September - November
October - November
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment