Mahonia Eurybracteata 'Soft Caress' - Single Established Plant
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
Currently: 10 or more available
Collect From Store
- The first spine-free, compact Mahonia
- Sprays of beautiful, butter-yellow flowers followed by blue berries
- Previous winner of the Plant of the Year award at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- A superb specimen for a container or the front of the border
- Supplied as an established plant in a 19cm pot, ready for immediate planting
The first Mahonia with blue-green, spine-free leaves, Mahonia 'Soft Caress' produces sprays of beautiful, butter-yellow flowers from August through to October followed by blue berries that attract birds into the garden throughout the colder months. A previous Winner of the Plant of the Year award at RHS Chelsea Flower Show, Soft Caress is a compact version of the familiar border plant but without the prickles. A superb specimen for a container or the front of the border near to pathways and doorways - especially as it has lost those spiky leaves! A lover of sunny areas, this dainty Mahonia will also make a fine addition to a partially shaded border too where it will reach a mature height and spread of just 1m x 1m while proving invaluable, year-round interest.
Supplied as an established plant in a 19cm pot, ready for immediate planting.
- Thrives in light shade - try underplating with other shade tolerant plants such as Bergenia
Planting Advice for your Mahonia eurybracteata 'Soft Caress':
- Grow Mahonia 'Soft Caress' in a sunny, sheltered site in well-drained soil. Protect from frost and winds when young
- Dig a planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting and mix some well-rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill once the shrub is in place.
- We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots then add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your shrub in the hole at the same level at the pot and refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball and water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
- If you're planting into pots, place some old rocks, stones or gravel in the bottom of the pot for drainage and ballast. Use the best compost you can buy and some sand or grit for drainage.
Aftercare advice for Mahonia 'Soft Caress':
- Keep plants well-watered while they establish, especially if planted up in a pot.
Pruning Advice for Mahonia:
- Mahonia needs no special pruning; only occasional maintenance is needed to remove any growth that has been damaged over winter
- Every second year after flowering you can prune to size as required and to encourage bushier growth
February - November
August - October
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment