The Ultimate Winter Hardy Shrub Collection - 12x Bare Root Bushes
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
Currently: Out of stock
Collect From Store
- Vibrant leaf and flower colour and wonderful fragrance all year round
- 12 tried and tested garden winners
- Will provide a natural safe haven for wildlife
- Supplied as 12 bare root, dormant bushes without leaves
You can now enjoy true year-round interest with vibrant flower colour, brightly coloured berries and stems, tactile bark and wonderfully fragrant flowers from the 12 varieties below:
Symphoricarpos albus, Syringa vulgaris. Cornus alba, Tamarix tetandra, Spirea douglasii, Forsythia intermedia 'Spectabilis', Hypericum Hidcote, Deutzia scabra, Berberis thunbergii 'Atropurpurea', Philadelphus coronarius, Weigela rosea.
Please note: These plants are supplied dormant and without leaves, looking more like dried twigs, and will establish in the ground over winter. They will not show signs of growth until the weather warms in spring, when they will burst into leaf.
Supplied as 12 freshly lifted 2-year-old bare root bushes, 1 each of the 12 varieties.
- On receipt, soak the roots in water for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). If you can't plant straight away, they should be fine for up to a week if left in a cool, dark, frost-free place - keep the bag around the roots with some water inside. Don't worry if the roots have been cut quite harshly – this is done to encourage the plant to grow.
- Bare root plants are dormant, with no leaves, and with the roots out of the soil.
- The season runs from November to April, depending on the weather. Some larger or slower-growing plants will already be a few years old on supply, and ready to thrive straight away in your garden.
- Select an appropriate spot for your plants, making sure that you give them enough space to grow to their full size.
- Dig a hole twice the width of the roots, forking over the bottom to loosen the soil, and add some good quality fertiliser such as Blood, Fish and Bone.
- Aim to plant at the same depth as the soil mark on the trunk.
- Holding the tree or plant upright in position with one hand, slowly backfill the hole with soil, and gently shake the plant, so the soil falls back around the roots.
- Use your heel to compact the soil around the plant to ensure good contact around the roots.
- If you are planting into pots, place some old rocks, stones or gravel in the bottom of the pot for drainage and ballast. Use the best compost you can buy.
- When the soil and air warm up from late March onwards, you should see the plant burst into life.
- Do not allow plants to dry out in the first four months after planting. Once established for one season, they will become much more tolerant to a lack of water, as the root system develops.
- There is no real need to prune for the first 2 years, then prune to the shape and size you want. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter to control size.
- Prune established trees in summer using good-quality secateurs, removing weak shoots, and cutting out those that cross over each other, to create an evenly spaced bowl shape.
October - April
March - October
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment